Thursday, 13 August 2009

God Spot - Contemplation on Quiet Time 13/08/09

Just a quick word to say that these “God Spot” notes are to be shared with Christians. My hope is that they encourage, challenge and/or inspire. I don’t expect that those who are not Christians to understand or respond to these notes, but they are most welcome to read them.


Psalm 143:1-2

Hear my prayer, O LORD;
give ear to my pleas for mercy!
In your faithfulness answer me, in your righteousness!
Enter not into judgment with your servant,
for no one living is righteous before you.

It says that Psalm 142 is written when David was in a cave escaping Saul (how I wish I had as poetic or musical talents to write my feelings into song!). Much of the rest of the two Psalms is what you would expect from someone being harassed by enemies, a simple plea for help. Here in the centre however is David crying for mercy, not from his enemies, but from judgement from God. He recognises his own lack of righteousness even when surrounded by danger. It is a passion for God’s righteousness that makes him one of the most inspiring men of faith and passion in the bible, and a challenge to me when I’m feeling sorry for myself (which, despite the comfortable life I lead, is far too often).

No comments:

Post a Comment